December 15, 2014

Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bars


Best. Sugar. Cookie. Ever!!
I'm really not kidding about this...I hope you love them as much as we do!!

Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bars

1 C room temp butter
2 C granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 T vanilla extract
4-5 C all purpose, unbleached flour
1 t salt (if your butter is salted, leave this out)
1/2 t baking soda
1 C butter-mints, crushed or chopped

Buttercream Frosting

1 C room temp butter
1/2 t peppermint extract
4 C powdered sugar
2-4 T milk or Half and Half
1/2 C crushed peppermints...you can leave out the peppermint extract, really, I added a little more than 1/2 C...if you don't feel like the frosting is "pink" enough you can also add some food coloring

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spray an 11x17 inch baking sheet and also line with parchment paper...I sprayed this as well.
3. In a separate bowl mix flour, salt, and baking soda.
4. With an electric mixer, cream sugar and butter til fluffy. Add eggs one at a time (I break them into a separate container and add, mixing well between each egg).
5. Add vanilla and slowly add the flour mixture...it will be just like a cookie dough.
6. Add butter-mints, mix until just combined.
7. To me this was the hardest part (except for not eating them)...spread the batter evenly onto the baking sheet...you may have to use your clean, floured hands to press the dough and smooth the top.
8. Bake until lightly browned (you can test the middle with a toothpick) about 25 mins.
9. Transfer and cool on a wire rack.
10. I wasn't crazy about the edges, so I cut them off all around.

Mix all ingredients for frosting with a hand mixer...mix in the milk a little bit at a time, you may need to add more powdered sugar. It should be the consistency of cream cheese. I cut the cooled bars first and frosted each piece individually, I have no idea why but it seemed easier to me and it looked prettier.


**I have also made these thicker in a casserole dish, I think I may prefer them that way, but either way they are truly scrumptious!**

This recipe came from Pinterest and I rewrote it to suit us at Quarters One.

'Til Next Time...
You're welcome! (wink!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It!